Reduction of Hazardous Substances Emissions Print version
OAO TATNEFT is committed to the idea of environmental friendliness and is trying to maximize reduction of hazard substances emission to the atmosphere, contaminant discharge to subsurface and surface hydrosphere and soil.
It is provided through application of the following measures.
- Introduction of technology for recovery of light hydrocarons escaping from capacitive equipment;
- decrease of associated gas flaring;
- purification of the associated gas in the desulfurization system;
- repair and replacement of tanks and other capacitive equipment, application of sorrosion resistant coating;
- replacement of technological oil and gas product pipelines;
- reconstruction of oil treatment units with optimization of the technological process and supply streams;
- construction of storm sewer systems in industrial facilities for collectingand deactivation of waste waters;
- waterproofing of earth storages, equipment of drilling units with leak proof circulation systems;
- major repair and replacement of oil pipelines, their galvanic and inhibitor protection;
- equipping the well workover crews with special facilities for drilling liquids spill prevention;
- technical state monitoring of production springs aiming at detecting failures and behind-the-casing flows;
- pressurization of production strings, topping the cement behind the surface casing and production string;
- running of the subsidiary (intermediate) surface casing strings during drilling;
- life period extension of the oil well equipment through application of protective coatings, M1-X packers, galvanic protection, corrosion inhibitors, and cathode protection of casing strings.
The Company has 43 facilities for hydrocarbon vapor recovery. The new one at Bondyuzhskaya initial water separation unit of NGDU Prikamneft was launched in 2009. The amount of hydrocarbons recovered by the vapor recovery systems at the tank farms of OAO TATNEFT in 2009 made up 62 thousand tons, with over 1.4 million tons of hydrocarbon stock having been additionally obtained since introduction in 1991.
315 motor transport units operating in OAO TATNEFT were modified to run on liquid gas in 2009. 1546 motor vehicles in total are running on liquefied gas presently. As a result of technical and organizational activities, the total fuel consumption was reduced by 14.9 thousand tons (i.e. 13.8%) in 2009 versus 2008.
The industrial storm sewer systems were constructed at 266 oil field facilities. Construction of the inductrial storm drain system has been started at the Almetyevsk motor transport enterprise. Construction of the inductrial drain reuse system at the Tumutuk waste water treatment facilities was completed with subsequent putting them into operation. Presently, waste waters formed after filters washing undergo purification by setting and are then returned for reuse. Sludge settled is dewatered at band filters and taken away to waste disposal facility. Commissioning of the system has stopped the discharge of contaminants into the Ik River.
Intake header fish protection net of the Kuvak water intake at Sheshma river was examinedand repaired by scuba divers team which allowed to reduce damage to fish stock caused by water intake.
The company also undertakes measures to ensure safe operation of Karabash waterworks which include:
- cleaning of existing drifts and bars in the entrance zone of dam drain to the old course of Bugulminsky Zay river;
- cleaning of old course from bars and gates in order to ensure decrease of water level and thus provide passage for drain waters from drain channel;
- diver inspection of the underwater part of Karabash waterworks dam slope.
The implementation of water protection measures resulted in reduction of waste water discharge from the Company's production facilities to surface-water bodies by more than twice in 2009 (by 227.3 thousand cubic meters) compared to 2008 and 9.3 times over the period from 2005 to 2009.
Specific waste water discharge to surface-water bodies in 2009 amounted 0.0078 cubic meters per one ton oil produced (0.0167 in 2008).
It's worth noting that water quality of the main rivers in terms of dissolved and emulsified oil and oil products content adhere to the requrements set for fishery water bodies and is significantly lower than maximum admissible concentration.
Hence, the results of the full large-scale nature-conservative activities indicate that the level of technogenic impact on the environment does not exceed the potential of ecosystems tolerance in the area of OAO TATNEFT activity.
Oil spill emergency warning and liquidation system
To be able to respond immediately in case of emergency 9 non-personnel fully equipped rescue teams have been created. Material resources reserves have been created including those for oil and oil-products spills liquidation at water bodies. To be more precise, 1870 meters of floating booms, 15 skimmers and 7.52 tons of sorbent are in store for liquidation of unintended and undesirable consequences of oil spill.
Oil spill liquidation training is conducted in every oil-and-gas production board of the Company on a regular basis.
Associated Petroleum Gas Utilization
The Decree "On Measures on Stimulating Reduction of Atmosphere Pollution by the Associated Gas Combustion Products Focused on Increasing Fees for Pollutants Emitted at Flare Devices Burning Associated Petroleum Gas" approved in January 2009 is aimed at reaching associated petroleum gas utilization of 95% of general production volume by 2012.
Implementation of the Program will allow to increase the associated gas utilization factor up to 95% and thus sufficiently cut on emission of products of its combustion into the atmosphere.
In 2009 the volume of associated petroleum gas productionamounted to 807.5 million cubic meters, of which 756.5 million cubic meters or 93.7 were processed at own production facilities.
Reduction of the Greenhouse Gas Emission
OAO TATNEFT supports eco-friendly practices and tries to lower its own impact on the environment. One of the most effective methods is application of the vapor recovery systems designated for capturing hydrocarbon vapor from tanks.
A special program of activities aimed at improving roadside vegetation along the public roads, in-field roads and industrial areas in the oil regions of Tatarstan is also a part of the Company's strategy. Tens of thousnads of seedlings of various breeds of trees have been planted under the Program.
Other activities include Action Program on utilization of associated Gas at Company Facilities for 2009-2013, increasing energy efficiency under the Program of energy Efficient Economy, the usage of renewable energy and a plenty of other activities aimed at the natural resources usage optimization.